Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Law Preview: Preparing for Future Torment

I can’t say I’m noticing it, but with each passing day, I am one tiny step closer to beginning law school. It’s an interesting feeling. I know I am ready for it to begin and excited about my road trip and move, but it can’t seem to get here soon enough. Well, that’s not entirely true.

Next week I will be in Miami for a Law Preview course. This is an intense week long course where I will be exposed to all of the courses that I will take as a 1L: Civil Procedure, Torts, Contracts, Property, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Legal Research & Writing. I think it will be very beneficial to have a head start going into law school. Specifically, it is giving me experience reading and briefing cases before my classmates. Now, I don’t know if that in itself is the advantage, but the week long course will certainly be an eye-opening learning experience. My plan is to be a sponge and take as many notes as possible so I am that much more prepared.

Preparing for this course has been quite interesting. They send you a large thick book full of cases and other pertinent information and it is my job to brief them to the best of my limited ability prior to the course. I am over halfway through all that and each day is its own challenge. The first few days were a breeze; it was fun reading all of the cases and trying to brief them accurately. As the days have worn on, my motivation seems to wax and wane with my energy level and mood. I still have a lot to do for my move, so that is slowing me down. Fortunately, the one constant is that I enjoy the different cases, which I will assume is good because law school is going to be a lot of case reading.

All I know is that I am more concerned with my move than this course or law school. The condominium association wants a background check on me and three references as part of its application process. That is a lot if you ask me. They have my credit report and a signed lease. An escrow letter showing that I have money for the security deposit and multiple months’ rent.  It all seems a tad much, but none of this compares to the test that I will have to take on the day I move in so they know that I understand all of their rules and regulations. Oh boy is the move becoming more than I bargained for.

All of this to simply apply to the condo association is giving me some trepidation about purchasing furniture. I don’t want to jeopardize anything until I know I have the place for sure, 100%. This all has been very enlightening and in a way is forcing me to “grow up” by doing all of this on my own and experiencing this for the first time. Thankfully, there shouldn’t be any problems being approved by the condo association and I would be surprised if I do not pass their test.  All in all, these next few weeks are sure to be educational, quite the experience, and fast moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment