Sunday, June 12, 2011

America's Favorite Pastime is My Favorite Pastime

One week ago today I was fortunate enough to be at AT&T Park to see the San Francisco Giants and Colorado Rockies square off in the series deciding game. 


Yes, my team, the Giants, won 2-1 after scoring the winning run in the bottom of the 8th and getting a 1-2-3 Brian Wilson save. Sitting in the stands, 33 rows from the field (thanks Mom and Bill for the great seats) was unlike any baseball game I have ever been to. I have sat much closer a few times, so close that I could touch the dirt. The atmosphere at the game was electric. I know that is the term announcers love to use to describe a big game, but it truly was. Here were the World Series Champions defending their title and home park against one of their better division rivals. It was a pitching duel with Ryan Vogelsong going 8 strong innings and the Rockies no-hitting the Giants into the 6th inning. You could not have asked for a better or closer game. Each pitch was important and everyone in attendance knew that.



Lou Seal rides a bike before the game.


World Champs!!!


The Beard 
Sweet graffiti in North Beach




It was special being in the stadium because I am from Alamo, CA, a small community in the East Bay in Northern California, and even though I attended more A’s games as a kid, I was and still am a diehard Giants fan. They are my team. I would have given almost anything to have gone to one of the World Series games. I got into the games to such a degree that my roommates and friends couldn’t watch the games with me. Can you tell? I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to these guys.

Watching the game was almost surreal. The fans were incredibly friendly and they all knew they were watching fantastic baseball. 41,000+ fans gathered on a typical San Francisco summer afternoon to watch their team come from behind and continue defending its title.

So given that game, I went two nights ago to see the Albuquerque Isotopes beat the Nashville Sounds 7-6 on a walk-off HR in the 10th. I love AAA games because of how close you can get to the field and the fun atmosphere that is fostered. The Isotopes game was no different, except for the presence of Myron Noodleman, a comedian who travels to minor league parks entertaining fans. To put it bluntly, I am NOT a fan of this wacko.

What I am getting at with all of this about baseball is that America’s Favorite Pastime is My Favorite Pastime. Some days there isn’t anything more peaceful than watching a baseball game in person and just watching. Not getting too involved and allowing your mind to turn off for a few hours and enjoy where you are and what you’re watching. I love baseball. I love being at baseball games and doing just that.

To date, I have been to 10 of MLB’s 30 stadiums (Giants, A’s, Angels, Diamondbacks, Astros, Cubs, Mets, Orioles, Nationals, Braves) and have enjoyed every game; including the game at Wrigley Field this April where I saw the Giants win a rain shortened game in which in literally rained sideways and my brother and I got soaked to the bone. I’d sit in that stadium in the snow to see a game; it is that cool of a place to be. I’ve gone to games this season in the rain, in a suit, World Series champions gear, and everything in between.

Here’s my advice, if you love baseball, go see a game ASAP and just enjoy it. Don’t yell at the ump or any players. Take it in, turn your brain off, and enjoy my favorite pastime. 

My NBA Finals Game 6 prediction is the Dallas Mavericks beat the Miami Heatles 96-89 in regulation.

Dirt Road Anthem - Jason Aldean

No comments:

Post a Comment